Monday, April 6, 2009

The Big C

After a little bit of back and forth with my OB, I have decided to go with a scheduled C-section for punkypoo #2 (who until now, hasn't received more than the occasional shout-out on this blog.)*

I was debating the "other" way for a while, but I am TERRIFIED of a repeat of Abby's induced birth. Let's recap:
-12 hours of labor
-a half-working epidural
-all 10.5 pounds of her that wouldn't squeeze into the birth canal
-the emergency c-section after they lost her heartbeat
-an awful recovery exaggerated by a long and fruitless labor

I know that there is a lot of controversy around this topic, but I truly believe that women's lib should really be a woman having all the information available, then making the decision that's best for her.

And after my futile attempts to breast feed Abby, I have also given myself permission to let this one go too if it doesn't work. I am not prepared for the blood and scabs and if it doesn't work for us, that's okay. I am just going to try my hardest, but not punish myself if it doesn't work out.

So there. As Charlotte says, "I choose my choice."

*I'm sure as it all gets closer, there will be more posts and mentions of the impending little one!


Kaylene said...

Hey Pam...saw the link on Facebook. I totally understand you wanting another c-section. I had one after trying to avoid it with 4 hours of pushing and shutting off my epidural. I'll probably just schedule one the next time as well. For the breastfeeding, I had the worst time. The lactation consultants helped me at least once a dayu at the hospital and then on an outpatient basis. No way I would have been able to do it without them. It was hard and frustrating though. Now I have the reverse problem. She doesn't like bottles. Good luck with #2!